The safety of our homes is paramount, and one crucial aspect often overlooked is fire safety. Portable fire extinguishers play a vital role in addressing small fires before they escalate. However, determining the right quantity for your home involves considering various factors. In this blog, we'll explore the key factors to consider when deciding how many portable fire extinguishers you need and offer practical recommendations for a safer home.
1. Home Size Matters:
The size of your home is a fundamental factor in determining the number of portable fire extinguishers required. Larger homes with multiple floors demand more coverage. A general guideline is to have at least one fire extinguisher in the living room, kitchen, garage, and on each floor. Conversely, a smaller apartment with a single floor might suffice with one to two extinguishers strategically placed.
2. Building Layout and Square Footage:
Consider the layout of your home and its square footage. According to OSHA, you should have a portable fire spray within 75 feet of any given point. Evaluate the distance between potential fire hazard areas and ensure extinguishers are appropriately distributed to cover the entire living space.
3. Fire Hazard Level:
Different buildings pose varying levels of fire hazards. Understanding these levels helps in determining the right placement and quantity of fire extinguishers.
- Light Fire Hazard: Homes with non-combustible materials can have a fire spray within 75 feet of any point.
- Ordinary Fire Hazard I: Buildings with a slight fire risk, often due to flammable liquids, should have extinguishers every 75 feet.
- Ordinary Fire Hazard II: Structures like hardware stores may require extinguishers every 30 to 50 feet.
- Extra Fire Hazard: Buildings with a higher fire risk need larger extinguishers placed every 30 to 50 feet.
4. Recommendations and Bundle Discounts:
Based on the considerations above, a general recommendation is at least one portable fire extinguisher per person and one for each high-risk location such as the kitchen or garage. This typically translates to four to 12 Ougist portable fire extinguishers. Take advantage of bundle discounts to make the investment more affordable, as buying in bulk often reduces individual costs.